Give non-proliferation pact teeth: Israel official
Jerusalem: An Israeli official says the UN atomic watchdog should focus more on giving teeth to the nuclear non-proliferation treaty than on trying to get Israel to join.
The Israeli official says even treaty signatories — like Iraq — have tried in the past to gain nuclear weapons.
The official says Iran, also a treaty member, is "now doing the same”. Iran denies it is building bombs.
The official`s remarks on Thursday came in response to a report that the UN nuclear watchdog solicited proposals from member states on how to get Israel to sign the treaty.
Israel has never acknowledged or denied having nuclear weapons but is widely believed to possess them.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of Israel`s policy of ambiguity on its nuclear capabilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack