Give non-proliferation pact teeth: Israel official
Jerusalem: An Israeli official says the UN atomic watchdog should focus more on giving teeth to the nuclear non-proliferation treaty than on trying to get Israel to join.
The Israeli official says even treaty signatories — like Iraq — have tried in the past to gain nuclear weapons.
The official says Iran, also a treaty member, is "now doing the same”. Iran denies it is building bombs.
The official`s remarks on Thursday came in response to a report that the UN nuclear watchdog solicited proposals from member states on how to get Israel to sign the treaty.
Israel has never acknowledged or denied having nuclear weapons but is widely believed to possess them.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of Israel`s policy of ambiguity on its nuclear capabilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof