Glad to be part of IOR-ARC: US
Washington: Glad to be part of the Indian Ocean Rim Association for Regional Cooperation (IOR-ARC), the US said on Saturday said, adding these kinds of regional and multilateral institutions play a vital role in addressing the shared challenges.
"We welcome the news that we have been included as a dialogue partner in the IOR-ARC," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters responding to a question on induction of US as a dialogue partner in the 20-nation IOR-ARC.
India played a major diplomatic role in the inclusion of the US in the multilateral forum.
"These kinds of regional and multilateral institutions play a vital role in addressing the shared challenges that we have and building a more prosperous and peaceful region. As you know, that part of the world is extremely strategically important.
We are glad to see the states around the Indian Ocean working together. And we welcome the opportunity to be part of that conversation in a dialogue capacity," Nuland said.
The US has been inducted as a dialogue partner of IOR-ARC despite opposition from Iran, mainly because of the hectic diplomatic effort by New Delhi.
"I think it speaks to the fact that other states in the region very much welcome having us as a dialogue partner," Nuland said when asked about the Iranian opposition to it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed