Glad to be part of IOR-ARC: US
Washington: Glad to be part of the Indian Ocean Rim Association for Regional Cooperation (IOR-ARC), the US said on Saturday said, adding these kinds of regional and multilateral institutions play a vital role in addressing the shared challenges.
"We welcome the news that we have been included as a dialogue partner in the IOR-ARC," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters responding to a question on induction of US as a dialogue partner in the 20-nation IOR-ARC.
India played a major diplomatic role in the inclusion of the US in the multilateral forum.
"These kinds of regional and multilateral institutions play a vital role in addressing the shared challenges that we have and building a more prosperous and peaceful region. As you know, that part of the world is extremely strategically important.
We are glad to see the states around the Indian Ocean working together. And we welcome the opportunity to be part of that conversation in a dialogue capacity," Nuland said.
The US has been inducted as a dialogue partner of IOR-ARC despite opposition from Iran, mainly because of the hectic diplomatic effort by New Delhi.
"I think it speaks to the fact that other states in the region very much welcome having us as a dialogue partner," Nuland said when asked about the Iranian opposition to it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj