Global N-terrorism drill begins in Moscow
Moscow: Exercises in countering nuclear terrorism started here in the Russian capital Thursday that involved 58 countries as well as international observers, the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) said.
The Guard-2012 exercises had observers from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Interpol, and the UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), News Agency reported.
The exercises, held within the framework of the Global Initiative to Combat Nuclear Terrorism (GICNT), are aimed at demonstrating anti-terror measures.
The Russian defence ministry and state atomic agency Rosatom would demonstrate the country`s latest technology for detecting nuclear materials and radioactive substances, the FSB said.
The report, however, did not mention for how long the exercises would take place.
In 2006, the presidents of Russia and the US jointly launched the GICNT at the G8 summit in Russia`s St. Petersburg city.
The GICNT is an international partnership of 85 nations and four official observers. Its mission is to strengthen international cooperation to prevent, detect, and respond to nuclear terrorism. The US and Russia serve as co-chairs.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read