Go home, not seek revenge: UK riot victim`s father
London: Tariq Jahan, whose 21-year-old son
was among three victims during a hit-and-run in the Birmingham
riots, has been hailed as a hero in the UK after he appealed
to the people to go home and not to seek revenge.
Pakistani-origin Jahan`s 21-year-old son Haroon, a keen
amateur boxer, had been killed along with brothers Shazad Ali,
30 and Abdul Musavir, 31, in the early hours yesterday.
They were part of a group of around 80 guarding nearby
stores, on Dudley Road in Winson Green, when they were victims
of the hit-and-run.
"I lost my son. Blacks, Asians, whites we all live in
the same community. Why do we have to kill one another? Why
are we doing this? Step forward if you want to lose your sons.
Otherwise, calm down and go home please," 45-year-old Jahan
told a crowd.
"Tensions are already high in the area. I don`t want the
community to fall out. The community doesn`t need this, and my
family doesn`t need this. I want to law to take its course;
let the law deal with it. We`ve seen enough without other
people taking the law into their hands."
British Premier David Cameron, making a statement in the
parliament today, paid tributes to the calls for peace made by
He said: "(Everyone) will have been impressed by the
brave words of Tariq Jahan, a father in Birmingham whose son
was so brutally and tragically run over and killed".
While Ed Miliband, leader of the opposition, called Jahan
the "true face of Britain".
A murder inquiry has been launched, and a 32-year-old man
is being questioned in connection with the murders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH