Go to Sweden, face sex assault allegations: EU official to Assange
London: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange should “just go” to Sweden and face allegations of rape and sexual assault, one of Europe’s top officials has said.
Cecilia Malmstrom, the European Commissioner for Home Affairs, has demanded Assange should “answer the questions” about the alleged attacks.
Malmstrom also dismissed the threat of his onward extradition to America as “purely theoretical,” the Independent reports.
“I’m not engaged in this, I know there are talks. But he’s accused of rape, of sexual harassment and if he’s innocent, which he might be — I don’t know — why doesn’t he just go and answer the questions?” the paper quoted Malmstrom, as saying.
“I don’t believe for a minute that’s why he would go to the US,” Malmström, who is herself a Swede, said.
Assange, 41, has been holed-up in a west London embassy building for nearly six months.
He fears that, once he arrives in Sweden, he will be sent on to America over allegations that he was involved in the leaking of sensitive documents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'