‘God intended rape` remark doesn’t make sense: Obama
Washington: US President Barack Obama has criticised Indiana Republican Senate candidate Richard Mourdock for his remarks about rape and pregnancy, saying that ‘rape is rape’ and that the comments “don’t make any sense to me”.
Obama, who appeared on NBC’s ‘The Tonight Show with Jay Leno’, said that women should be trusted to make their own decisions about their bodies, in consultation with their doctors, and politicians should not intrude.
“I don`t know how these guys come up with these ideas... rape is rape. It is a crime. These various distinctions about rape don`t make too much sense to me, don`t make any sense to me,” Obama said.
According to news.com.au, the latest controversy flared up after Mourdock said that pregnancy caused by rape was ‘something God intended to happen’.
The Obama campaign had called on his Republican White House rival Mitt Romney to repudiate his endorsement of Mourdock, the report said.
The Romney campaign said that the former governor disagreed with Mourdock’s remarks and did not reflect the presidential candidate’s views.
Romney’s aides, however, said that his ad supporting Mourdock would not be pulled from Indiana’s airwaves.
Earlier on Wednesday, Mourdock refused to apologise for the “something God intended” remark, but said that he regrets that some may have misconstrued and “twisted” his comments, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened