God is alive: Pope
Nevada: “God is alive”, His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI stated in a letter to seminarians dated October 18, published on “Vatican: the Holy See” website.
Pope also wrote: “…people will always have need of God, even in an age marked by technical mastery of the world and globalisation… Where people no longer perceive God, life grows empty; nothing is ever enough.”
Eminent religious statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) on Friday, suggested that in order to keep people in religion’s fold, religious organisations and their leaders should make religion more vibrant, attractive and engaging.
Zed, who is president of Universal Society of Hinduism, further said that we (religious leaders and organisations) were responsible for the alienation of many believers thus resulting in increase of the people with “no religion”. Our efforts at social control, judgmentalism, stagnant approach, etc, might be turning them away resulting in many of them questioning belief in God, equating religion with fear, etc. Some of them, who still believed in God, were bypassing religion to reach God questioning the linkage between “man made religions” and God. “If I ‘just do good’, I should be fine”, many of them argued.
Rajan Zed pointed out that life was getting complex and distractions were increasing, so religion was slipping away from the priority list of many. Conventional style of dealing with spirituality and religion did not appear to be effectively working, especially with today’s youth. Make it more exciting and challenging, Zed suggested.
If religious leaders and organisations did not attend to this challenge more effectively in this consumerist society, we could lose our youth to the other marketplace players, which were more powerful, attractive and vocal than religion and spirituality, Zed warned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand