Gold mine collapse in Central African Republic, 37 dead
Bangui (CAR): At least 37 people were killed when a gold mine collapsed at Ndassima in the middle of the Central African Republic, where President Michel Djotodia has declared three days of mourning, national radio reported today.
The accident occurred on Sunday after a landslide in very heavy rain "led to the death of almost 40 of our compatriots", presidential spokesman Prosper Ndouba said on the radio.
"It is to be feared that the casualty toll may unfortunately rise in the next few hours or coming days," Ndouba added.
"Confronted with this tragedy, the president of the republic presents his sincere condolences to the families of the victims and to the entire Centrafrican people. He has decided on three days of national mourning as of today."
A source in the district administrator`s office in the central Ouaka region said "there is no hope of finding any survivors" in the mine, which has been active since 2009.
"Several dozen miners" had been working "several metres down" beneath the surface in a region that had turned into a muddy swamp, the source added.
Ndassima lies in territory controlled by former rebels of the Seleka alliance, who ousted president Francois Bozize in March. Djotodia, a key leader in the armed coalition, declared himself president and was subsequently endorsed by a national transitional council.
The gold and diamond mining sectors are key to the economy of the highly unstable, landlocked nation.
The diamond business provides directly and indirectly for about a quarter of the population of some 4.5 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?