Goodluck Jonathan sworn in as Nigeria`s President
Abuja: Goodluck Jonathan was on Sunday sworn
in for a full four year term as Nigerian President after
winning an election regarded as the fairest amongst the four
held since the oil-rich country returned to democracy in 1999.
This is the second time he has has been sworn into
office in just over a year. Jonathan first took office on May
6, 2010 after the death of President Umaru Musa Yar`Adua to
whom he was deputy.
The 54 year-old president who was sworn in by the
chief justice of Nigeria Aloysius Katsina-Alu with his deputy,
Namadi Sambo, vowed to uphold the constitution of the country
in discharging his duties.
"I Goodluck Ebele Jonathan promise to be faithful and
bear true allegiance and as president of the Federal Republic
of Nigeria I will discharge my duties to the best of my
abilities, faithfully and in accordance with the
constitution," he said at a ceremony, held at the Eagle Square
in the capital Abuja, which was attended by a number of
foreign heads of states and dignitaries including Minister of
Water Resources and Minority Affairs Salman Khurshid.
Jonathan won 59 per cent of votes cast in the April 16
He is the first president from the oil rich Niger
Delta region known for frequent militancy by groups claiming
to be fighting for resource control but which often engage in
kidnapping for ransom and oil theft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Aditi and Mohit Malik’s Indonesian vacation will give you honeymoon goals
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today