Google`s exit draws admiration and anger from Chinese netizens
Beijing: A day after world`s leading internet firm, Google shut its search engine for China, the step drew admiration, hate and anger in equal measure from the country`s netizens.
Reaction poured in blogs, tweets and wired comments had a common thread of users expressing bewilderment what it will mean for internet services they depend on. The extent of provocation it must have caused to Beijing became apparent as the government was believed to be attempting to block access to Google`s new uncensored site in Hong Kong from the mainland.
Vast majority of the comments and blogs on Chinese mainland websites appear to express hate and anger towards Google.
But tweets and comments that appear to come from users in mainland China on websites based outside the country express sympathy and support towards Google, and anger towards the Chinese government.
China`s state media came down sharply on Google`s decision to quit saying the internet firm had taken a huge misstep in the world`s largest online market.
The newspapers claimed that Google would earn little sympathy from users who had been loyal to it in China and following the official line said the firm had turned its dispute on government web censorship and cyber attacks into a political issue.
The Global Times said there was an improvement in China`s business climate and urged foreign companies to adapt to "transnational Chinese society"
The exit of Google from China would cleanse the country`s internet of "pornographic and subversive content" besides providing a major opening for domestic and international web companies to make a dent into the market,
the daily said.
"With the company`s credibility among Chinese netizens now plummeting, Google will be greeted with less sympathy and fewer parting sentiments from Chinese Internet users," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Why are people going so crazy over Reliance Jio test SIM
- Newborn with Zika virus found infected 2 months after birth
- Govinda ala re! Bollywood wishes Happy Janmashtami to all—See inside
- This is how CPI-M countered BJP’s Janmashtami procession in Kerala
- Six killed, 25 injured in bus-truck collusion in China