Google`s exit draws admiration and anger from Chinese netizens
Beijing: A day after world`s leading internet firm, Google shut its search engine for China, the step drew admiration, hate and anger in equal measure from the country`s netizens.
Reaction poured in blogs, tweets and wired comments had a common thread of users expressing bewilderment what it will mean for internet services they depend on. The extent of provocation it must have caused to Beijing became apparent as the government was believed to be attempting to block access to Google`s new uncensored site in Hong Kong from the mainland.
Vast majority of the comments and blogs on Chinese mainland websites appear to express hate and anger towards Google.
But tweets and comments that appear to come from users in mainland China on websites based outside the country express sympathy and support towards Google, and anger towards the Chinese government.
China`s state media came down sharply on Google`s decision to quit saying the internet firm had taken a huge misstep in the world`s largest online market.
The newspapers claimed that Google would earn little sympathy from users who had been loyal to it in China and following the official line said the firm had turned its dispute on government web censorship and cyber attacks into a political issue.
The Global Times said there was an improvement in China`s business climate and urged foreign companies to adapt to "transnational Chinese society"
The exit of Google from China would cleanse the country`s internet of "pornographic and subversive content" besides providing a major opening for domestic and international web companies to make a dent into the market,
the daily said.
"With the company`s credibility among Chinese netizens now plummeting, Google will be greeted with less sympathy and fewer parting sentiments from Chinese Internet users," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray