Gordon Brown 3rd worst British PM: Survey
London: Gordon Brown has been rated as one
of the worst post World War II prime ministers in Britain,
according to a new survey of academics specialising in
politics and history since 1945.
The survey of 106 UK-based academics was run by
Professor Kevin Theakston (University of Leeds) and Mark Gill
This new survey is the first poll to include Gordon
Brown as leader and builds on a similar survey conducted by
Theakston and Gill in 2004, which rated all 20th century prime
As in 2004, Labour`s Clement Attlee is rated as the
most successful prime minister with a mean rating (out of 10)
of 8.1; and both Margaret Thatcher (on 6.9) and Tony Blair (on
6.4) are highly rated.
Alec Douglas-Home (PM for only a year) and Anthony
Eden (destroyed by the Suez crisis) still languish at the
bottom of the prime-ministerial league table, as in the 2004
Churchill had been ranked as the second most effective
20th-century PM in the 2004 poll but here he slips down to a
`mid-table` position, based on evaluations of his 1950s
The Great War leader was seen by respondents as less
successful as a peacetime leader.
John Major`s rating improved a little since 2004 - up
from a 3.7 score to 4.6, and he has overtaken Edward Heath in
the league table.
Both Gordon Brown and James Callaghan were Labour PMs
for three years at times of economic crisis; both followed
successful election-winning leaders (Blair and Wilson); and
both lost the only election they fought as leaders.
But Callaghan is rated more highly than Brown and is
in a higher position in the table.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony