Gouged-eye boy in China goes home with prosthetics
Beijing: A 6-year-old Chinese boy whose eyes were gouged out in an attack more than three months ago was discharged on Thursday from a hospital in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, where he was successfully fitted with prosthetic eyes.
Guo Bin (nicknamed Binbin) danced to music at a send-off ceremony at the C-MER Dennis Lam Eye Hospital, where he expressed gratitude and happiness.
The prosthetic eyes look and move much like normal eyes, but do not restore vision. Doctors plan to fit Binbin with navigation sensors next summer that would allow him to get around on his own in familiar places.
Police in the boy`s hometown in northern China`s Shanxi province say they suspect his aunt was the culprit in the attack, although they have not identified a motive. The woman has since committed suicide, and Binbin`s parents have raised doubts.
Today, the boy`s mother said Binbin can put on his clothes, brush his teeth and climb stairs by himself, according to reports in Hong Kong media.
"He has adapted well and is smart," mother Wang Wenli said before thanking the medical staff.
The attack on the boy horrified the Chinese public and added to outrage over violence against children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal