Gouged-eye boy in China goes home with prosthetics
Beijing: A 6-year-old Chinese boy whose eyes were gouged out in an attack more than three months ago was discharged on Thursday from a hospital in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, where he was successfully fitted with prosthetic eyes.
Guo Bin (nicknamed Binbin) danced to music at a send-off ceremony at the C-MER Dennis Lam Eye Hospital, where he expressed gratitude and happiness.
The prosthetic eyes look and move much like normal eyes, but do not restore vision. Doctors plan to fit Binbin with navigation sensors next summer that would allow him to get around on his own in familiar places.
Police in the boy`s hometown in northern China`s Shanxi province say they suspect his aunt was the culprit in the attack, although they have not identified a motive. The woman has since committed suicide, and Binbin`s parents have raised doubts.
Today, the boy`s mother said Binbin can put on his clothes, brush his teeth and climb stairs by himself, according to reports in Hong Kong media.
"He has adapted well and is smart," mother Wang Wenli said before thanking the medical staff.
The attack on the boy horrified the Chinese public and added to outrage over violence against children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery