Gouged-eye boy in China goes home with prosthetics
Beijing: A 6-year-old Chinese boy whose eyes were gouged out in an attack more than three months ago was discharged on Thursday from a hospital in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, where he was successfully fitted with prosthetic eyes.
Guo Bin (nicknamed Binbin) danced to music at a send-off ceremony at the C-MER Dennis Lam Eye Hospital, where he expressed gratitude and happiness.
The prosthetic eyes look and move much like normal eyes, but do not restore vision. Doctors plan to fit Binbin with navigation sensors next summer that would allow him to get around on his own in familiar places.
Police in the boy`s hometown in northern China`s Shanxi province say they suspect his aunt was the culprit in the attack, although they have not identified a motive. The woman has since committed suicide, and Binbin`s parents have raised doubts.
Today, the boy`s mother said Binbin can put on his clothes, brush his teeth and climb stairs by himself, according to reports in Hong Kong media.
"He has adapted well and is smart," mother Wang Wenli said before thanking the medical staff.
The attack on the boy horrified the Chinese public and added to outrage over violence against children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen