Government shutdown cost Pentagon $600 mn: Officials
Washington: The partial US federal government shutdown has cost the Pentagon at least USD 600 million worth of productivity, Pentagon top financial officer said on Thursday.
Robert Hale, the comptroller of the Defence Department, said at a news conference that the losses were due to lost productivity during the 16-day shutdown which furloughed more than 400,000 Defence Department civilian employees at its height, Xinhua reported.
The Defence Department then managed to bring most of the furloughed employees back to work on October 07 while the rest, about 5,000, came back to work on Thursday.
The shutdown also generated a number of other costs that have yet to be calculated, Hale added.
The government shutdown was over, but it would take a while for the effects to fade, said Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel.
Hagel noted that Congress did not remove the shadow of uncertainty cast over the department.
"If this fiscal uncertainty continues, it will have an impact on our economy, our national security, and America`s standing in the world," he added.
The government shutdown and the country`s debt limit problem could make American allies nervous as well, the secretary added.
"Our allies are asking questions: Can we rely on our partnership with America? Will America fulfil its commitments and its promises?" he said. "These are huge issues for all of us, and they do impact our national security and our relationships and our standing in the world."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!