Grandchildren of Mao, Chiang Kai-shek meet in Taiwan: Report
Taipei: The grandchildren of Chinese Communist icon Mao Zedong and his arch rival Chiang Kai-shek met in Taiwan in a rare encounter mirroring warming ties between Beijing and Taipei, a report said today.
Kong Dongmei, believed to be the first Mao relative ever
to visit Taiwan, was on the island with a cultural delegation
from the semi-official Association for Relations Across the
Taiwan Straits, said the local China Times.
She met yesterday with John Chiang, a Taiwanese lawmaker
and grandson of Chinese nationalist leader Chiang Kai-shek,
who was Mao`s mortal enemy on the mainland for most of the
period from the 1920s until the 1940s.
They met when Kong`s delegation visited the headquarters
of the ruling Kuomintang, the party that the elder Chiang
played a key role in shaping both on the mainland and in
"It`s just a coincidence we met. I didn`t think too much
about it," Kong said when asked if their meeting symbolised
the end of the feud between the two late leaders, according to
Kong, who runs a multi-media publishing company in
Beijing, has reportedly made three previous low-profile visits
to the island, most recently in July.
The battle between Mao and Chiang for control over
China cost the lives of millions and only ended in 1949 when
Mao`s communist forces seized power, banishing Chiang and his
troops to Taiwan, where he set up a rival government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened