Grandson defends Stalin in Ukrainian famine case
Moscow: Joseph Stalin`s grandson has asked Ukraine to investigate the officials behind a court case in which the Soviet dictator was found guilty for the famine in 1930s, known in the former Soviet republic as `Holodomor` according to reports.
A court in Ukraine`s capital Kiev last week found Stalin and other Bolshevik leaders guilty of `genocide` of 3.9 million Ukrainians during the 1932-1933 famine. However,
criminal proceedings against them were dropped due to death of all the suspects, `RIA Novosti` reported.
In a letter to the Prosecutor-General of Ukraine, Stalin`s grandson Evgeny Jugashvili has pointed that such "false charges" could only have come from Stalin`s "main foe" Hitler rather than a democratic state.
"Ukrainian Security Council officials who investigated the case and court judges cynically violated the European Convention of Human Rights, which says no one can be convicted for deeds that were not legally a crime when they were committed," Jugashvili wrote in his complaint according to a Kiev daily.
Stalin`s grandson noted that `genocide` was only introduced in Ukraine`s criminal code in the 1990s so was applicable in case of trial of modern leaders like former president Leonid Kuchma and current President Viktor Yushchenko.
Stalin`s grandson has in the past unsuccessfully tried to defend his grandfather in various court cases in Russia.
Last December, a Moscow court for a second time rejected a libel suit filed by him against a Russian newspaper `Novaya Gazeta` for calling Stalin a "criminal" in one of its article and sought USD 326,000 as compensation.
He also sued liberal Ekho Moskvy radio seeking compensation for "offensive disrespect for the late Soviet leader”.
According to official statistics, 52 million were convicted on political charges, many were executed on fake charges, while some languished in the GULAG labour camps and about six million people were exiled without any court verdict during Stalin`s regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi