Graves of Muslim soldiers desecrated in France
Paris: The graves of several Muslim soldiers in a cemetery in southeastern France were desecrated over the weekend, officials said today. The French president called the act "a slur" on the country`s history.
France has the largest Muslim population in western Europe -- estimated at more than 5 million -- and has struggled with Islamophobia.
A killing spree by a young Frenchman of Algerian origin this year, which targetted soldiers and Jewish children, has reinvigorated the debate over the integration of Muslims in French society.
That debate has played a big role in presidential elections, in which the far-right candidate drew nearly a fifth of the votes in the first round. President Nicolas Sarkozy has tacked hard to the right in the hopes of winning over those voters and, with them, yesterday`s decisive second round.
The French Muslim Council condemned the desecration of the graves and called it cowardly.
Local press reported the vandalism included racist sayings scribbled on the tombstones.
Sarkozy expressed indignation at the "serious slur against our history" in a statement from his office that said the graves belonged to French soldiers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’