Greece coalition government likely on Wednesday
Athens: As talks for formation of a new ‘coalition’ government in Greece entered into second day on Tuesday, leaders expressed hope for the formation of a new government on Wednesday.
“We are hoping that a new government will be formed by afternoon tomorrow,” Pasok leader Evangelos Venizelos said. He further said that his party would support the government "whole heartedly", but had not yet decided what form its participation would take.
Venizoles said this after rival Greek party leaders continued with talks with two potential minority partners voicing hope that a pro-bailout coalition government can be quickly formed after the debt-crippled country`s second inconclusive election in six weeks.
At the core of any administration will be Antonis Samaras` New Democracy party, which came first in Sunday`s vote and won 129 of Parliament`s 300 seats, but not enough to govern alone.
Samaras is seeking an alliance with the third-placed Socialist PASOK and the smaller Democratic Left party, which would broadly fulfill Greece`s pledges to its bailout creditors for further cutbacks and reforms, keeping the country within Europe`s joint currency.
Otherwise, Greece would run out of cash and the continent could plunge deeper into a financial nightmare with global repercussions.
The main sticking point promises to be how much Greece is willing to tempt fate by seeking a more lenient deal from creditors fed up with missed targets and broken reform pledges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town