Greece hit by strong quake near Crete, minor damage reported
Athens: An earthquake with a magnitude of more than six degrees struck near the island of Crete in southern Greece today, sending items flying off supermarket shelves but causing only minor damages.
According to the US Geological Survey the quake had a 6.4 magnitude, while the Athens Observatory gave it a magnitude of 6.2.
The epicentre was some 60 kilometres off the city of Hania in western Crete, the state-run Athens News Agency said.
The earthquake struck at 4:11pm (1311 GMT) and its epicentre was in the sea, 275 kilometres south of Athens, the observatory said, describing the quake as "strong."
"The quake took place in an area known for its seismic activity. It was strongly felt in Crete but also in the rest of Greece," geology professor Efthymios Lekkas told Skai radio.
"It was very impressive because the shaking lasted some 40-50 seconds," a woman who identified herself only as Vassia, said.
According to the Athens News Agency, life in Hania returned to normal a few hours after the quake, which had initially sent people rushing into the streets in panic.
Shops and houses suffered minor damages and local television showed images of items falling off supermarket shelves.
According to Skai radio station, an elderly person was lightly injured while attempting to jump out a window.
Local authorities also rushed to open up roads close to Hania, blocked by fallen rocks. Greece is one of Europe`s most earthquake-prone countries.
Yesterday, a 4.4-magnitude earthquake, described as "mild" by the observatory, struck the north of the country causing no damage.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India