Greece remaining in EU in everyone`s interest: US
Washington: Congratulating the people of Greece on conducting elections successfully, the US has said it is in every one`s interest that the country remains in "the euro area while respecting a commitment to reform”.
"We congratulate the Greek people on conducting their election in this difficult time. We hope this election will lead quickly to the formation of a new government that can make timely progress on the economic challenges facing the Greek people," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said in a statement yesterday.
"As (US) President (Barack) Obama and other world leaders have said, we believe that it is in all our interests for Greece to remain in the euro area while respecting its commitment to reform," he said.
"Going forward, we will engage Greece in the spirit of partnership that has guided our alliance and the friendship between our people," he said.
The New York Times in a news report from Athens said that the parliamentary elections was widely seen as a last chance for Greece to remain in the eurozone and the results had an early rallying effect on world markets.
Investors across the globe may find some initial relief in the elections, but the ultimate market reaction is hard to predict because political conditions in the recession-ravaged country remain volatile, another report in CNN said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire