Greece to dissolve Parliament for new election
Athens: Greece`s day-old Parliament held its last session on Friday to allow for new elections next month that are being cast as a decision on whether to keep the country in the 17-nation eurozone even if that means accepting a deeply unpopular austerity program.
Inconclusive elections on May 06 left squabbling politicians unable to form a government, deepening a political crisis and giving strength to radical parties that reject the terms of the country`s international bailout, without which it would default and have to drop out of the currency union with catastrophic financial consequences.
Greek President Karolos Papoulias is expected to formally dissolve Parliament and call elections on Saturday.
In a purely symbolic move on Thursday, the 300 legislators elected on May 06 were sworn in for just one day, including 21 lawmakers from the far-right Golden Dawn party. Parliament spent several hours on Friday electing a speaker and his assistants, who enjoyed a few moments in office before the session wrapped up.
A caretaker government will lead Greece until the new election expected on June 17, but it can`t make any binding decisions.
The political paralysis comes at a critical time for Greece, which must make more budget cutbacks next month to get new funds from its international bailout, which has kept the country afloat since May 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened