Greek beach evacuated after artillery discovery
Athens: A surprise shell has caused a big stir at a popular Athens beach.
Greek authorities evacuated the seafront today after a swimmer found a corroded artillery shell just 10 yards from dry land, fished it out and presented it to a lifeguard.
A coast guard statement said army explosives experts were rushed to Vouliagmeni beach and safely disposed of the munition. The 30-centimeter (12-inch) round dated to World War II, when much of the coastline around Athens was heavily fortified.
Athenians have been flocking to nearby beaches over the past few days as the country suffered an early heat wave, with temperatures over 30 degrees Centigrade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters