Greek beach evacuated after artillery discovery
Athens: A surprise shell has caused a big stir at a popular Athens beach.
Greek authorities evacuated the seafront today after a swimmer found a corroded artillery shell just 10 yards from dry land, fished it out and presented it to a lifeguard.
A coast guard statement said army explosives experts were rushed to Vouliagmeni beach and safely disposed of the munition. The 30-centimeter (12-inch) round dated to World War II, when much of the coastline around Athens was heavily fortified.
Athenians have been flocking to nearby beaches over the past few days as the country suffered an early heat wave, with temperatures over 30 degrees Centigrade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai