Greek conservatives reject signing reform pledge
Athens: A major conservative party in
Greece`s new unity government refused on Saturday in talks with EU
and IMF officials to drop its opposition to signing written
reform pledges in return for crucial loans, reports said.
Antonis Samaras, head of the New Democracy party, said
its support for the government set up last week specifically
to enact reforms tied to a eurozone bailout deal was
commitment enough, reports said.
He reportedly made the remarks to senior auditors from
the European Commission, the European Central Bank and the
International Monetary Fund.
The officials had on Friday also held talks in Athens
with Finance Minister Evangelos Venizelos and Prime Minister
Lucas Papademos, a former ECB deputy chief parachuted in to
lead the new coalition on November 11.
They also met on Saturday with George Papandreou, the
former prime minister who leads the socialist Pasok party, the
other major party in the unity government.
Poul Thomsen, the IMF deputy director for Europe who
is leading the delegation to Athens, declined to comment after
George Karatzaferis, whose small far-right LAOS party
completes the government coalition, is due to meet the
officials on Sunday. He has also expressed opposition to a
written pledge to Brussels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!