Greek couple arrested for buying Roma baby: Police
Athens: Police in Athens on Friday said they had arrested a Greek couple suspected of having purchased a Roma baby for 4,000 euros (USD 5,500).
The couple, a 53-year-old man and his 48-year-old wife, told police that they had received the baby girl, then only a few weeks old, from a Roma woman in March.
The woman then unsuccessfully tried to register the baby as her own child.
Private adoption is legal in Greece as long as money is not exchanged in the process.
The case came amid heightened scrutiny by Greek authorities after the discovery of a mysterious blonde girl living in a Roma camp with a couple who were accused of abducting her.
Greece`s supreme court has ordered a general review of newborn registrations after the discovery of the blonde girl known as Maria exposed lax recording practices around the country permitting the misuse of state benefits.
Maria`s false parents, who were arrested last week, are believed to have declared a total of 14 children to claim increased family support benefits.
Maria is thought to be Bulgarian, and left behind in the Greek Roma camp by her biological mother who could not care for her.
Bulgarian authorities yesterday questioned a Roma couple thought to be the girl`s biological parents. The result of DNA tests to confirm the girl’s parentage is expected next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her