Greek PM calls for end to cronyism
Athens: The worst of Greece`s financial crisis is over but the debt-stricken country must tackle cronyism and cut back on waste to emerge a stronger nation, Prime Minister George Papandreou said.
His government has introduced austerity measures and won a financial safety-net from Euro zone leaders to help overcome its debt crisis, but continues to face borrowing costs more than double those of euro zone heavyweight Germany.
"Credibility for Greece has come back. Of course, those are short-term changes. We have to get down to the deeper changes, which we`re already doing," Papandreou told Time Magazine.
For the first time since October when his socialist-led administration came to power and revealed the budget deficit had more than doubled the previously announced figure, Papandreou said the peak of the crisis had passed.
"I think the worst is over for the crisis that we`ve had, the sort of peak of the crisis. But there is a lot of work to be done, difficult work," Papandreou said. Time published excerpts of the interview in its April 12 edition.
Papandreou said the Mediterranean state of 11 million needed to fight corruption, eliminate waste, and decentralize the administration to move away from an abuse-prone system in which officials could dole out favours based on personal connections.
Euro zone leaders and the IMF say the belt-tightening should prevent the crisis deepening, but a string of demonstrations and clashes between protesters and police last year have raised some concern the government may lose its nerve.
"The pain is still there because the cuts, the wage cuts, the economic measures are biting and people will all feel this in the next few years," Papandreou said.
"But if we do what is necessary, we`ll come out of this stronger and much more viable. And that`s what my hope is - and my belief is - that we can do this."
An opinion poll released on Saturday showed Papandreou`s leftist PASOK party maintaining a 10 point lead in popularity over its conservative opponents, despite the austerity measures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened