Greek prisoners` attempt to escape fails
Athens: The attempt of a group of prisoners to escape by helicopter in central Greece has failed, the authorities said.
Prison guards on Sunday fired at the helicopter which approached the prison complex at Trikala, as Panayotis Vlastos, a notorious convict serving life time term for criminal activities was climbing up a rope ladder, reported Xinhua citing media reports.
Vlastos was injured during a gun battle and has been transferred to hospital. The convict has escaped prisons twice in recent years.
In 2011, he played a leading role in another failed attempt at Korydallos prison at Piraeus port, when a group of inmates had held two dozen guards and visitors as hostages.
In 2006 and in 2009, two other notorious convicts managed to escape from Korydallos prison, the country`s maximum security prison, twice by helicopter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official