Greek prisoners` attempt to escape fails
Athens: The attempt of a group of prisoners to escape by helicopter in central Greece has failed, the authorities said.
Prison guards on Sunday fired at the helicopter which approached the prison complex at Trikala, as Panayotis Vlastos, a notorious convict serving life time term for criminal activities was climbing up a rope ladder, reported Xinhua citing media reports.
Vlastos was injured during a gun battle and has been transferred to hospital. The convict has escaped prisons twice in recent years.
In 2011, he played a leading role in another failed attempt at Korydallos prison at Piraeus port, when a group of inmates had held two dozen guards and visitors as hostages.
In 2006 and in 2009, two other notorious convicts managed to escape from Korydallos prison, the country`s maximum security prison, twice by helicopter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!