Greek prisoners` attempt to escape fails
Athens: The attempt of a group of prisoners to escape by helicopter in central Greece has failed, the authorities said.
Prison guards on Sunday fired at the helicopter which approached the prison complex at Trikala, as Panayotis Vlastos, a notorious convict serving life time term for criminal activities was climbing up a rope ladder, reported Xinhua citing media reports.
Vlastos was injured during a gun battle and has been transferred to hospital. The convict has escaped prisons twice in recent years.
In 2011, he played a leading role in another failed attempt at Korydallos prison at Piraeus port, when a group of inmates had held two dozen guards and visitors as hostages.
In 2006 and in 2009, two other notorious convicts managed to escape from Korydallos prison, the country`s maximum security prison, twice by helicopter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery