Greek prisoners` attempt to escape fails
Athens: The attempt of a group of prisoners to escape by helicopter in central Greece has failed, the authorities said.
Prison guards on Sunday fired at the helicopter which approached the prison complex at Trikala, as Panayotis Vlastos, a notorious convict serving life time term for criminal activities was climbing up a rope ladder, reported Xinhua citing media reports.
Vlastos was injured during a gun battle and has been transferred to hospital. The convict has escaped prisons twice in recent years.
In 2011, he played a leading role in another failed attempt at Korydallos prison at Piraeus port, when a group of inmates had held two dozen guards and visitors as hostages.
In 2006 and in 2009, two other notorious convicts managed to escape from Korydallos prison, the country`s maximum security prison, twice by helicopter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi