Greenpeace director denied entry to Indonesia
Jakarta: Indonesia says it has barred the executive director of the environmental group Greenpeace from entering the country because of reports written by the organisation about the country.
John Sauven was turned back immediately upon arrival at Jakarta`s airport on Thursday.
He was supposed to meet with government officials and businessmen before visiting rainforests threatened by ever-expanding plantations.
A spokesman for the Justice and Human Rights Ministry says Sauven was informed through Indonesia`s embassy in London he would not be allowed to enter even though he`d been granted a visa.
The spokesman said on Friday the decision was based on reports by Greenpeace that had created "difficulties" for the Indonesian government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- 2nd T20I: India vs South Africa - Preview