Greenpeace to appeal activists` jailing in Russia
Moscow: Greenpeace said it will appeal the Russian court rulings that sent its activists to jail for a protest at an offshore drilling platform in the Arctic.
On Thursday, the court in the northern Russian city of Murmansk jailed 28 Greenpeace activists who protested last week near the platform owned by a Russian state energy giant, Gazprom, along with a freelance Russian photographer and a freelance British videographer.
"These detentions are like the Russian oil industry itself, a relic from an earlier era," Greenpeace International executive director Kumi Naidoo said in a statement yesterday. "Our peaceful activists are in prison tonight for shining a light on Gazprom`s recklessness."
Of the 30 people jailed by the court, 22 were put in custody for two months pending an investigation and the other eight were detained for three days pending a new hearing, now scheduled for tomorrow.
No charges have been brought against any of the activists. Russian authorities are considering whether to charge them with piracy, among other offenses.
The Russian Coast Guard disrupted an attempt by two of the activists to scale the oil platform on Sep 18. The next day, they seized Greenpeace`s ship, the Arctic Sunrise, and towed it with the crew aboard to Murmansk.
Greenpeace Russia campaign director Ivan Blokov described the arrest as "the most aggressive and hostile act against Greenpeace since the bombing of the Rainbow Warrior ship."
Greenpeace`s Rainbow Warrior was bombed by French government agents in New Zealand in 1985, killing one man.
The detained activists are from 18 countries, including Russia, and a long detention or series of trials could draw unwelcome international attention to Russia`s tough policy against protests.
Greenpeace Russia`s lawyer, Anton Beneslavsky, rejected Gazprom`s claims that the activists could have caused damage to the platform.
"If one activist hanging on the rope from the platform could have damaged it, then such a platform should not operate on the Arctic shelf," he told a news conference yesterday.
Beneslavsky also referred to Greenpeace`s protest at the same site last August when six activists spent several hours hanging off the side of the platform attached to the rig`s mooring. Back then, the coast guards "did not react at all to what happened," he said. The activists were not detained and faced no charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in