Grenade explodes in Bangkok hotel-shopping complex
Bangkok: A grenade exploded outside a Bangkok hotel and shopping mall, shattering windows and wounding a security guard, police said Friday.
The last night blast was the second attack in a month near the King Power shopping compound and the latest in a string of low-level explosions that have rattled the Thai
capital since May when the army violently suppressed two months of anti-government protests. The protests left 91 dead and 1,400 hurt.
No one claimed responsibility for the blast, which occurred about 11 pm yesterday, said Metropolitan Police commander Maj Gen Wichai Sangpraprai.
The shopping compound also includes the Pullman Hotel, a business hotel with a popular wine bar in downtown Bangkok.
The hotel was spared damage but a half-dozen windows were shattered at the King Power duty-free shopping mall, which was closest to the explosion, Wichai said.
A woman who identified herself as the hotel`s PR manager but declined to give her name said security had been increased around the hotel but no guests had been affected by
The Thai government has cited the recent explosions as justification for keeping the capital under a state of emergency, which was imposed during the protests.
An initial investigation showed that the grenade was similar to the M67 grenade used in previous blasts, said Wichai. He said police were studying CCTV footage for leads.
"I think the intention was to threaten and not to take lives," Wichai said.
On July 30, a grenade hidden in a garbage bag across the street from the King Power compound exploded and left one passer-by seriously wounded. An earlier July blast at a
Bangkok bus stop killed one person and wounded 10.
No one has claimed responsibility for any of the blasts, and authorities have declined to link them to the political turbulence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22