Group offers $10,000 for US black teen`s killer
Sanford: A black political group
offered a USD 10,000 reward for the killer of an
African-American teenager, amid a nationwide uproar which has
prompted a rethink of America`s race issues.
The New Black Panther Party (NBPP) displayed a wanted
poster on its website with a picture of George Zimmerman, the
neighbourhood watch volunteer who fatally shot Trayvon Martin,
17, last month.
"WANTED!!! For the murder of Trayvon Martin... ALIVE, not
dead or harmed," the poster read.
Several dozen supporters of the group, which is unrelated
to the revolutionary Black Panther Party that was active in
the 1960s-1980s, protested for the third time this week at the
police headquarters in Sanford, Florida.
"An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth," leader Mikhail
Muhammad told the Orlando Sentinel. "We don`t hate anyone, we
The NBPP group has called for the mobilisation of 5,000
black men to capture Zimmerman. Muhammad said the organisation
was receiving donations from black entertainers and athletes,
with a goal to collect USD 1 million by next week.
Sanford police said they were ignoring the NBPP`s
call to capture Zimmerman, a white Hispanic.
Thousands of demonstrators have marched in at least 10 US
cities to express their outrage over the attack, with some of
the anger directed at local authorities handling the murder
They have not arrested or charged Zimmerman because he
claimed self-defence, which allowed him to benefit from
Florida`s "Stand Your Ground" law that lets state residents
use lethal force when they are at risk of being killed or
seriously injured by an assailant. Zimmerman had a permit to
carry a gun.
Meanwhile, in a separate event in Washington yesterday
unrelated to the New Black Panther Party protest, at least
1,000 protesters -- many in black hoodies, some with bags of
Skittles candy like the one Martin bought before he was shot
-- gathered yesterday in the heart of the US capital to demand
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill