Guam heightens alert level after North Korea threats
Hagatna: Guam has raised its official threat level and on Thursday tested its emergency alert system after warnings from North Korea identifying the island as a potential missile target.
With a North Korean missile test expected at any time, authorities said the US territory in the western Pacific was on yellow alert, the middle phase of a three-step "traffic light" system comprising green, yellow and red levels.
"This is the same colour used by government agencies to indicate there is a medium risk for the island," the government said in a statement released late Wednesday.
"The government will continue to operate like normal, with a few government agencies participating in emergency preparedness and planning."
Guam`s emergency alert system, which sets off sirens across the island and interrupts regular television and radio broadcasts to deliver information, was tested at 10:00 am (0000 GMT) Thursday.
The government also distributed fact sheets advising people how to protect their families and make doors and windows blast-proof with plastic and tape in the event of an emergency.
Governor Eddie Calvo said he had received assurances from US military commanders on the island of 180,000 people, which is dotted with American military facilities, that defences were "strong and adequate".
"Even though we`re protected, it`s important we are vigilant," he said. "Look at the fact sheets, be prepared and stay tuned for news coming out of the joint information centre."
Guam lies about 3,380 kilometres (2,100 miles) southeast of North Korea, meaning it is theoretically in range of Pyongyang`s Musudan missiles, although it remains unclear whether the weapons actually work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre