Guantanamo judge allows testimony about torture
Fort Meade (Maryland): Lawyers for the Guantanamo Bay prisoner accused of orchestrating the deadly attack on the USS Cole will present expert testimony on Tuesday at a pre-trial hearing on how to conduct a mental examination of a torture victim.
Dr Vincent Iacopino will testify at the military tribunal in Cuba of Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri.
The judge, Army Col James Pohl, agreed to hear the testimony before he orders an examination to determine whether al-Nashiri is competent to stand trial.
Defence lawyers say it should be done with sensitivity to Al-Nashiri`s history of being water boarded and threatened with weapons while he was being held by the CIA in a series of secret prisons.
The 2000 bombing of the Navy destroyer in Yemen killed 17 crew members and wounded 37.
Al-Nashiri`s hearing is being held at the US naval base in Cuba. The Associated Press yesterday watched a video feed of the hearing at Fort Meade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next