Guantanamo judge allows testimony about torture
Fort Meade (Maryland): Lawyers for the Guantanamo Bay prisoner accused of orchestrating the deadly attack on the USS Cole will present expert testimony on Tuesday at a pre-trial hearing on how to conduct a mental examination of a torture victim.
Dr Vincent Iacopino will testify at the military tribunal in Cuba of Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri.
The judge, Army Col James Pohl, agreed to hear the testimony before he orders an examination to determine whether al-Nashiri is competent to stand trial.
Defence lawyers say it should be done with sensitivity to Al-Nashiri`s history of being water boarded and threatened with weapons while he was being held by the CIA in a series of secret prisons.
The 2000 bombing of the Navy destroyer in Yemen killed 17 crew members and wounded 37.
Al-Nashiri`s hearing is being held at the US naval base in Cuba. The Associated Press yesterday watched a video feed of the hearing at Fort Meade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!