Guantanamo judge allows testimony about torture
Fort Meade (Maryland): Lawyers for the Guantanamo Bay prisoner accused of orchestrating the deadly attack on the USS Cole will present expert testimony on Tuesday at a pre-trial hearing on how to conduct a mental examination of a torture victim.
Dr Vincent Iacopino will testify at the military tribunal in Cuba of Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri.
The judge, Army Col James Pohl, agreed to hear the testimony before he orders an examination to determine whether al-Nashiri is competent to stand trial.
Defence lawyers say it should be done with sensitivity to Al-Nashiri`s history of being water boarded and threatened with weapons while he was being held by the CIA in a series of secret prisons.
The 2000 bombing of the Navy destroyer in Yemen killed 17 crew members and wounded 37.
Al-Nashiri`s hearing is being held at the US naval base in Cuba. The Associated Press yesterday watched a video feed of the hearing at Fort Meade.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed