Guantanamo prison closure: Obama weighs options
Washington: The US is determined to close down the Guantanamo Bay terrorist detention centre and the Administration is looking into various decisions that can be taken in this regard, the White House has said.
Press Secretary Jay Carney said yesterday that there are a number of things that the Obama Administration can do in this regard, adding that President Barack Obama is determined to see closure of the detention centre.
The Congress, however, is against the closure and is opposing any move in this regard.
"One of the options available to us that we`re examining is reappointing a senior official at the State Department to renew our focus on repatriating or transferring detainees that we determine can be returned to their home countries or third countries," Carney said.
"We will also work to fully implement the periodic review board process which has not moved forward quickly enough, and we will continue to work to get that implemented so that it is up and standing," he said.
The White House official said there are obstacles being thrown up by Congress, including their refusal to provide the funding that would allow to transfer detainees to incarceration facilities here in the US.
"They have circumscribed our ability to take action on this front in other ways. So we have to work with Congress and try to convince its members that the overriding interest here in terms of our national security as well as our budget is to close Guantanamo Bay," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees