Guardian editor to be grilled by UK MPs over Snowden leaks
London: The editor of Britain`s Guardian newspaper, Alan Rusbridger, is to appear before lawmakers on Tuesday to defend his newspaper`s publication of intelligence documents leaked by former US intelligence analyst Edward Snowden.
Parliament`s home affairs committee is questioning Rusbridger as part of its investigation into counter- terrorism, amid claims the newspaper endangered national security by publishing details of US and British spying.
Britain`s top spy chiefs warned last month that al Qaeda and other enemies were "lapping up" Snowden`s revelations and were using them to change the way they operate.
The Guardian counters that its stories sparked an important debate about intelligence, privacy and freedom of speech. It insists it has handled all the information sensitively.
Ahead of the parliamentary hearing, Rusbridger, 59, tweeted a "v nice letter" of support from Carl Bernstein, the veteran US journalist who helped break the Watergate scandal.
Bernstein said the hearing appeared to be "an attempt by the highest UK authorities to shift the issue from government policies and excessive government secrecy in the United States and Great Britain to the conduct of the press".
"Rather than hauling in journalists for questioning and trying to intimidate them, the (House of) Commons would do well to encourage and join that debate," he added.
The Index on Censorship campaign group raised similar concerns in an open letter to the chairman of the home affairs committee, opposition Labour lawmaker Keith Vaz.
"We are concerned that rather than a debate being opened up, the focus has instead been on criticising the Guardian`s work, with even the prime minister threatening to take action against the newspaper if it did not take `social responsibility`," Index chief executive Kirsty Hughes wrote.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview