Guatemala destroys poppy, marijuana plants worth $780 mn
Guatemala City: Guatemala has destroyed opium poppy and marijuana plants worth USD 780 million in the country`s western San Marcos province, an official said.
Police spokesman Donald Gonzalez said on Friday the crops were destroyed in the Ixiguan and Tajumulco municipalities by a joint team of Guatemalan police, military and the US Drug Enforcement Administration. People responsible for the crops have fled the area, he said.
The San Marcos area falls on the border with Mexico and used by drug cartels for poppy cultivation - raw material of heroin. Last year, opium crops worth USD 1.66 billion were destroyed in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged