Guatemala destroys poppy, marijuana plants worth $780 mn
Guatemala City: Guatemala has destroyed opium poppy and marijuana plants worth USD 780 million in the country`s western San Marcos province, an official said.
Police spokesman Donald Gonzalez said on Friday the crops were destroyed in the Ixiguan and Tajumulco municipalities by a joint team of Guatemalan police, military and the US Drug Enforcement Administration. People responsible for the crops have fled the area, he said.
The San Marcos area falls on the border with Mexico and used by drug cartels for poppy cultivation - raw material of heroin. Last year, opium crops worth USD 1.66 billion were destroyed in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened