Guatemala destroys poppy, marijuana plants worth $780 mn
Guatemala City: Guatemala has destroyed opium poppy and marijuana plants worth USD 780 million in the country`s western San Marcos province, an official said.
Police spokesman Donald Gonzalez said on Friday the crops were destroyed in the Ixiguan and Tajumulco municipalities by a joint team of Guatemalan police, military and the US Drug Enforcement Administration. People responsible for the crops have fled the area, he said.
The San Marcos area falls on the border with Mexico and used by drug cartels for poppy cultivation - raw material of heroin. Last year, opium crops worth USD 1.66 billion were destroyed in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof