Guatemala destroys poppy, marijuana plants worth $780 mn
Guatemala City: Guatemala has destroyed opium poppy and marijuana plants worth USD 780 million in the country`s western San Marcos province, an official said.
Police spokesman Donald Gonzalez said on Friday the crops were destroyed in the Ixiguan and Tajumulco municipalities by a joint team of Guatemalan police, military and the US Drug Enforcement Administration. People responsible for the crops have fled the area, he said.
The San Marcos area falls on the border with Mexico and used by drug cartels for poppy cultivation - raw material of heroin. Last year, opium crops worth USD 1.66 billion were destroyed in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- NASA’s SDO captures bursts of solar material from the Sun- Watch
- Watch: Videos show German-Iranian gunman going on rampage in Munich
- Heavy rain in China kills at least 24, millions evacuated
- Defence Minister Parrikar leaves for Chennai to monitor ops of missing IAF AN 32
- Pakistan has been crying for Kashmir ever since independence: NPP