Guatemala lowers death toll from earthquake to 42
Guatemala City: Authorities in Guatemala have lowered the death toll from last week`s 7.4-magnitude earthquake to 42 from 52, after some people who had been reported dead were found alive.
The head of the Central American country`s disaster agency says some people in outlying regions were believed to have died Wednesday in their collapsed homes, but they were later found alive elsewhere.
David de Leon says the government`s final estimate on the quake`s impact indicates that 10,330 homes were damaged. Of those, 2,769 will have to be totally or partially demolished.
The earthquake was Guatemala`s strongest in 36 years, and left thousands of people without homes, electricity or water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH