Guatemala lowers death toll from earthquake to 42
Guatemala City: Authorities in Guatemala have lowered the death toll from last week`s 7.4-magnitude earthquake to 42 from 52, after some people who had been reported dead were found alive.
The head of the Central American country`s disaster agency says some people in outlying regions were believed to have died Wednesday in their collapsed homes, but they were later found alive elsewhere.
David de Leon says the government`s final estimate on the quake`s impact indicates that 10,330 homes were damaged. Of those, 2,769 will have to be totally or partially demolished.
The earthquake was Guatemala`s strongest in 36 years, and left thousands of people without homes, electricity or water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement