Guatemala lowers death toll from earthquake to 42
Guatemala City: Authorities in Guatemala have lowered the death toll from last week`s 7.4-magnitude earthquake to 42 from 52, after some people who had been reported dead were found alive.
The head of the Central American country`s disaster agency says some people in outlying regions were believed to have died Wednesday in their collapsed homes, but they were later found alive elsewhere.
David de Leon says the government`s final estimate on the quake`s impact indicates that 10,330 homes were damaged. Of those, 2,769 will have to be totally or partially demolished.
The earthquake was Guatemala`s strongest in 36 years, and left thousands of people without homes, electricity or water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster