Guatemala lowers death toll from earthquake to 42
Guatemala City: Authorities in Guatemala have lowered the death toll from last week`s 7.4-magnitude earthquake to 42 from 52, after some people who had been reported dead were found alive.
The head of the Central American country`s disaster agency says some people in outlying regions were believed to have died Wednesday in their collapsed homes, but they were later found alive elsewhere.
David de Leon says the government`s final estimate on the quake`s impact indicates that 10,330 homes were damaged. Of those, 2,769 will have to be totally or partially demolished.
The earthquake was Guatemala`s strongest in 36 years, and left thousands of people without homes, electricity or water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- ICSI Executive Programme Examination Result June 2016 to be declared shortly; check icsi.edu, ICSI CS Result 2016
- Risks are essential, but overrated: Sushant Singh Rajput
- Preggers Mira Rajput admitted to hospital; hubby Shahid Kapoor's parents hurry to meet bahu!
- 'Spit remark' on PV Sindhu's achievements: Director says fans didn't get his satire, gets TROLLED again
- 2016 Hyundai Elantra: Check out features and specifications