Guatemala mudslides kill at least 42
Guatemala City: At least 42 people have died in mudslides that followed heavy rains in Guatemala, local media reported on Sunday.
Fifteen people were killed in one mudslide alone on the Pan-American Highway near Guatemala City. According to eyewitness reports on Sunday, numerous other people had been buried.
Rescuers searching for survivors reportedly were caught and submerged in new mudslides. By late Sunday, at least 21 bodies had been recovered.
Officials said the Pan-American Highway is impassable, blocked by mudslides in several areas.
At least 24,000 people have reportedly been evacuated. Rains, floods and mudslides have affected 30,000 people in different regions of the country, with 10 rivers threatening to overflow.
The heavy rains caused flooding in neighbouring Central American countries and southern Mexico, killing dozens of people over the last few days. Forty people had been reported dead in Nicaragua by the weekend and 20 dead in Honduras.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Anushka Sharma slaps ‘Sultan’ Salman Khan?