Guatemala mudslides kill at least 42
Guatemala City: At least 42 people have died in mudslides that followed heavy rains in Guatemala, local media reported on Sunday.
Fifteen people were killed in one mudslide alone on the Pan-American Highway near Guatemala City. According to eyewitness reports on Sunday, numerous other people had been buried.
Rescuers searching for survivors reportedly were caught and submerged in new mudslides. By late Sunday, at least 21 bodies had been recovered.
Officials said the Pan-American Highway is impassable, blocked by mudslides in several areas.
At least 24,000 people have reportedly been evacuated. Rains, floods and mudslides have affected 30,000 people in different regions of the country, with 10 rivers threatening to overflow.
The heavy rains caused flooding in neighbouring Central American countries and southern Mexico, killing dozens of people over the last few days. Forty people had been reported dead in Nicaragua by the weekend and 20 dead in Honduras.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!