Guatemala mudslides kill at least 42
Guatemala City: At least 42 people have died in mudslides that followed heavy rains in Guatemala, local media reported on Sunday.
Fifteen people were killed in one mudslide alone on the Pan-American Highway near Guatemala City. According to eyewitness reports on Sunday, numerous other people had been buried.
Rescuers searching for survivors reportedly were caught and submerged in new mudslides. By late Sunday, at least 21 bodies had been recovered.
Officials said the Pan-American Highway is impassable, blocked by mudslides in several areas.
At least 24,000 people have reportedly been evacuated. Rains, floods and mudslides have affected 30,000 people in different regions of the country, with 10 rivers threatening to overflow.
The heavy rains caused flooding in neighbouring Central American countries and southern Mexico, killing dozens of people over the last few days. Forty people had been reported dead in Nicaragua by the weekend and 20 dead in Honduras.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued