Guatemalan cop accused of holding teen as sex slave
Guatemala City: A Guatemalan police officer was arrested on charges of holding a 14-year-old girl as a sex slave for months, authorities said Friday.
Marvin Florian, 40, was taken into custody Thursday, the police said in a statement.
The officer, who is accused of rape and torture, paid off the girl`s mother to keep quiet about the arrangement, according to the statement.
Florian was detained at a police precinct in a poor Guatemala City neighbourhood, near the residence where he kept the girl prisoner for a year.
Authorities should investigate the possibility that Florian has been involved in other instances of "sexual slavery", Alba Trejo, presidential commissioner for crimes against women, told the media.
Minors were the victims in nearly two-thirds of the 318 reports of sexual violence filed with police so far this year, the Guatemalan human rights office said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- World Cup winning coach Luiz Felipe Scolari wants to succeed Roy Hodgson as new England manager
- Another jolt to BSP, senior party leader RK Chaudhary also accuses Mayawati of auctioning election ticket
- Gold price up Rs 100 at Rs 30,350 per ten grams; silver tops Rs 43k level
- Vadra should be prosecuted for alleged suicide, if it was assisted, of his father: Subramanian Swamy
- Sachin Tendulkar's latest tweet proves that wherever he goes, India follows - See pic inside!