Guatemalan cop accused of holding teen as sex slave
Guatemala City: A Guatemalan police officer was arrested on charges of holding a 14-year-old girl as a sex slave for months, authorities said Friday.
Marvin Florian, 40, was taken into custody Thursday, the police said in a statement.
The officer, who is accused of rape and torture, paid off the girl`s mother to keep quiet about the arrangement, according to the statement.
Florian was detained at a police precinct in a poor Guatemala City neighbourhood, near the residence where he kept the girl prisoner for a year.
Authorities should investigate the possibility that Florian has been involved in other instances of "sexual slavery", Alba Trejo, presidential commissioner for crimes against women, told the media.
Minors were the victims in nearly two-thirds of the 318 reports of sexual violence filed with police so far this year, the Guatemalan human rights office said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Leigh Griffiths puts struggling Celtic in Champions League driving seat
- Reality TV personality Khloe Kardashian slams Donald Trump
- New music by Beatles legend George Harrison to be released
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh to visit Pakistan in August for SAARC meet
- Dope scandal: Narsingh Yadav's Rio Olympics fate hangs in balance as NADA set to pronounce verdict today