Guatemalan prison officials sacked for irregularities
Guatemala City: Guatemala`s government ministry sacked 37 prison officials for their alleged complicity in allowing weapons, drugs, cash and assorted electrical devices into a prison, authorities have said.
The sacking of the officials came after a raid conducted Saturday at the El Boqueron prison, located in the southeastern province of Santa Rosa.
Authorities seized inside the prison some 43,932 quetzales ($5,299) and $28 in cash, which was money raised from extortions of business owners and bus drivers.
In addition, authorities confiscated six pistols, one grenade, 171 bullets of different calibres, 13 knives, 20 pairs of scissors and three other bladed weapons, along with 33 mobile phones and 5.4 kg of marijuana.
Government Ministry and Prison Service officials decided to fire the 37 prison officials at El Boqueron.
Government Minister Raul Velasquez said the 37 officials did not carry out their jobs properly and asked prosecutors to begin an investigation against them to determine their different levels of responsibility for the acts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered