Guatemalan prison officials sacked for irregularities
Guatemala City: Guatemala`s government ministry sacked 37 prison officials for their alleged complicity in allowing weapons, drugs, cash and assorted electrical devices into a prison, authorities have said.
The sacking of the officials came after a raid conducted Saturday at the El Boqueron prison, located in the southeastern province of Santa Rosa.
Authorities seized inside the prison some 43,932 quetzales ($5,299) and $28 in cash, which was money raised from extortions of business owners and bus drivers.
In addition, authorities confiscated six pistols, one grenade, 171 bullets of different calibres, 13 knives, 20 pairs of scissors and three other bladed weapons, along with 33 mobile phones and 5.4 kg of marijuana.
Government Ministry and Prison Service officials decided to fire the 37 prison officials at El Boqueron.
Government Minister Raul Velasquez said the 37 officials did not carry out their jobs properly and asked prosecutors to begin an investigation against them to determine their different levels of responsibility for the acts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH