Guatemalans demand release of accused drug lord
Guatemala City: Police say 400 people marched in support of Guatemala`s reputed top drug trafficker captured by the government and the US Drug Enforcement Administration.
Police spokesman Donald Gonzalez says the demonstration on Thursday was peaceful and lasted about three hours in an area controlled by Juan Alberto Ortiz Lopez, who is wanted in Florida on cocaine trafficking charges and was arrested on Wednesday in the western city of Quetzaltenango.
Demonstrators carried signs demanding his release.
Participant Juan Pablo Mendez said the Ortiz did what the government doesn`t — create jobs and support families.
A US attorney general`s statement said Ortiz transported multi-ton cocaine shipments from Guatemala to the US for more than a decade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!