Guatemalans demand release of accused drug lord
Guatemala City: Police say 400 people marched in support of Guatemala`s reputed top drug trafficker captured by the government and the US Drug Enforcement Administration.
Police spokesman Donald Gonzalez says the demonstration on Thursday was peaceful and lasted about three hours in an area controlled by Juan Alberto Ortiz Lopez, who is wanted in Florida on cocaine trafficking charges and was arrested on Wednesday in the western city of Quetzaltenango.
Demonstrators carried signs demanding his release.
Participant Juan Pablo Mendez said the Ortiz did what the government doesn`t — create jobs and support families.
A US attorney general`s statement said Ortiz transported multi-ton cocaine shipments from Guatemala to the US for more than a decade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef