Guatemalans demand release of accused drug lord
Guatemala City: Police say 400 people marched in support of Guatemala`s reputed top drug trafficker captured by the government and the US Drug Enforcement Administration.
Police spokesman Donald Gonzalez says the demonstration on Thursday was peaceful and lasted about three hours in an area controlled by Juan Alberto Ortiz Lopez, who is wanted in Florida on cocaine trafficking charges and was arrested on Wednesday in the western city of Quetzaltenango.
Demonstrators carried signs demanding his release.
Participant Juan Pablo Mendez said the Ortiz did what the government doesn`t — create jobs and support families.
A US attorney general`s statement said Ortiz transported multi-ton cocaine shipments from Guatemala to the US for more than a decade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!