Guatemalans demand release of accused drug lord
Guatemala City: Police say 400 people marched in support of Guatemala`s reputed top drug trafficker captured by the government and the US Drug Enforcement Administration.
Police spokesman Donald Gonzalez says the demonstration on Thursday was peaceful and lasted about three hours in an area controlled by Juan Alberto Ortiz Lopez, who is wanted in Florida on cocaine trafficking charges and was arrested on Wednesday in the western city of Quetzaltenango.
Demonstrators carried signs demanding his release.
Participant Juan Pablo Mendez said the Ortiz did what the government doesn`t — create jobs and support families.
A US attorney general`s statement said Ortiz transported multi-ton cocaine shipments from Guatemala to the US for more than a decade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read