Guatemalans demand release of accused drug lord
Guatemala City: Police say 400 people marched in support of Guatemala`s reputed top drug trafficker captured by the government and the US Drug Enforcement Administration.
Police spokesman Donald Gonzalez says the demonstration on Thursday was peaceful and lasted about three hours in an area controlled by Juan Alberto Ortiz Lopez, who is wanted in Florida on cocaine trafficking charges and was arrested on Wednesday in the western city of Quetzaltenango.
Demonstrators carried signs demanding his release.
Participant Juan Pablo Mendez said the Ortiz did what the government doesn`t — create jobs and support families.
A US attorney general`s statement said Ortiz transported multi-ton cocaine shipments from Guatemala to the US for more than a decade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing