Guatemalans get 200 years for Facebook-linked murders
Guatemala City: A court in Guatemala sentenced two men to 200 years in prison each for murdering two teenagers they contacted via Facebook, a judicial source said.
Eduardo Chen and Saul Garcia Arriaza were convicted for the deaths of Heydi Montufar Lorenzana, 16, and Heiser Alexandra Mercado Santos, 18.
The public prosecutor`s office had initially requested 308 years behind bars.
Prosecutors argued during the trial yesterday that the two men chatted over Facebook with the teenagers and set up a meeting that way.
The investigation showed the girls were killed August 22, 2011, after being raped. Their bodies were found six days later in the southern town of Amatitlan.
These marked the first murder convictions in Guatemala where the victims and perpetrators contacted each other using Facebook.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Katrina Kaif’s views on ‘intolerance’ in the country - Here's what the actress said
- Irfan Pathan marries 21-year-old Safa Baig in low-key affair