Guatemalans get 200 years for Facebook-linked murders
Guatemala City: A court in Guatemala sentenced two men to 200 years in prison each for murdering two teenagers they contacted via Facebook, a judicial source said.
Eduardo Chen and Saul Garcia Arriaza were convicted for the deaths of Heydi Montufar Lorenzana, 16, and Heiser Alexandra Mercado Santos, 18.
The public prosecutor`s office had initially requested 308 years behind bars.
Prosecutors argued during the trial yesterday that the two men chatted over Facebook with the teenagers and set up a meeting that way.
The investigation showed the girls were killed August 22, 2011, after being raped. Their bodies were found six days later in the southern town of Amatitlan.
These marked the first murder convictions in Guatemala where the victims and perpetrators contacted each other using Facebook.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price