Gun bill to be reintroduced: US lawmaker
Washington: One of the architects of failed gun control legislation says he`s bringing it back.
Senator Joe Manchin on Sunday said he would re-introduce a measure that would require criminal and mental health background checks for gun buyers at shows and online. The Democrat says that if lawmakers read the bill, they will support it.
Manchin sponsored a previous version of the measure with Republican Senator Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania. It failed. Manchin says there was confusion over what was in the bill.
Congress took up gun control legislation in the wake of the school shooting that killed 20 children and six adults in Connecticut last year.
But it was blocked by supporters of the powerful pro-gun lobby, the National Rifle Association. Manchin appeared on "Fox News Sunday."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred