Gunman in Serbia massacre dies
Belgrade: A Serbian gunman who shot dead 13 people in the country`s worst massacre in two decades, died on Thursday from a self-inflicted gun wound, according to a source at Belgrade`s emergency centre.
"Ljubisa Bogdanovic passed away at 2:00 pm (1730 IST)," the source told AFP.
The 60-year-old war veteran had been in critical condition after shooting himself in the head following a rampage through his tiny village that left six men, six women and a two-year-old boy dead.
The dead included his son and his mother as he went house-to-house, mainly shooting people in the dead as they slept peacefully.
His wife, Javorka, who was shot twice but survived, earlier offered harrowing testimony of the bloodbath, the Balkan country`s worst such shooting in 20 years.
"I was in the kitchen where I usually sleep when he entered with a gun saying there was no more life for us. Then he fired," she told police, according to the Vecernje Novosti daily.
Hit in the head, the wife heard another shot before fainting. When she regained consciousness she crawled to the bathroom.
"Then I heard the door. He again entered the house and talked to me, surprised to see me alive. He shot me again," the woman was reported as saying.
Some neighbours in the village of Velika Ivanca, some 50 kilometres south of Belgrade, initially expressed surprise that he was capable of such violence, but his brother-in-law said he had a history of domestic violence.
"He was brutally beating her (Javorka) when the kids were small. I know that he was nervous and had a bad temper," Zivomir Starcevic told the Vecernje Novosti.
"My sister never wanted to admit it, but I found out that he even beat her with a chain," said Starcevic.
Javorka herself told the same paper: "He was very nervous. He was beating me. His father was the same."
The victims are expected to be buried tomorrow as Serbia remains in shock and politicians debate the possibility of introducing tougher gun control legislation.
Prime Minister Ivica Dacic has said that society needed to "pay more attention to prevent such crimes" and the country`s police chief has said tighter new laws would be sent to parliament in the coming days.
The new law foresees a medical examination every three to five year for all those who have a licence for a gun or ammunition, according to the police chief, Milorad Veljovic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble