Gunman kills five in Colombia
Bogota: Five people were killed and five wounded when a gunman opened fire at a crowd watching an amateur soccer match in the northwestern Colombian city of Medellin, authorities said Friday.
The bloodbath occurred Thursday night in the La Esperanza neighborhood, police Lt Col Ramiro Riveros said.
Two of the fatalities were minors, he told a press conference in Medellin, the capital of Antioquia province.
The five injured survivors are in stable condition, he said.
"What we have is that a person with a firearm shot indiscriminately at some people who were watching a sporting event," Riveros said.
The massacre may have been connected to inter-gang conflict in the area or to reprisals for police action against the criminals, he said.
Many poor neighbourhoods in Medellin have become battlegrounds for well-armed factions trying to establish control over drugs and protection rackets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie