Gunman kills five in Colombia
Bogota: Five people were killed and five wounded when a gunman opened fire at a crowd watching an amateur soccer match in the northwestern Colombian city of Medellin, authorities said Friday.
The bloodbath occurred Thursday night in the La Esperanza neighborhood, police Lt Col Ramiro Riveros said.
Two of the fatalities were minors, he told a press conference in Medellin, the capital of Antioquia province.
The five injured survivors are in stable condition, he said.
"What we have is that a person with a firearm shot indiscriminately at some people who were watching a sporting event," Riveros said.
The massacre may have been connected to inter-gang conflict in the area or to reprisals for police action against the criminals, he said.
Many poor neighbourhoods in Medellin have become battlegrounds for well-armed factions trying to establish control over drugs and protection rackets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued