Gunman opens fire at US church, wounds 2 teens
Richmond: A man wearing a hooded sweatshirt walked into a San Francisco Bay area church and opened fire during a Sunday service, wounding two teenagers, police said.
Two other men — also wearing hooded sweatshirts — were with the gunman when the shooting took place at about 12:30 pm in front of about 100 people at New Gethsemane Church in Christ, Richmond police Sgt Bisa French said.
The men walked up and down the aisles with their hoods over their heads before the gunman fired at the teens sitting in the pews, witnesses said. Charles Miller, a 64-year-old deacon at the church, said members of the congregation were about to tell the men to take off their hoods when the shooting began.
"I was listening to the choir and all of a sudden there was a `pop pop pop pop pop,`" Miller told the San Francisco Chronicle. "Everyone hit the floor. I didn`t know the shooting was inside the church at first, until I heard all of the hollering and screaming."
A 14-year-old boy was hit in the shoulder and a 19-year-old man was struck in the leg, French said. Both victims, whose names haven`t been released, were hospitalised and were expected to survive. There were no other injuries.
The three men fled and no suspects have been arrested, French said.
"It`s terrible when you come to the house of the Lord and start doing this," Miller said. "It`s just something you don`t do."
Investigators believe the men were targeting someone in the church but don`t know if the two who were hit were the intended targets, French said.
"If it wasn`t the victims that were hit, it was somebody near them," she said.
French said investigators were interviewing witnesses to see if anyone recognised the men.
A handful of congregants returned to the church after police processed the crime scene and finished the service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan
- CINTAA's joint secretary apologises to Rakhi Sawant, Dolly Bindra – Here’s why
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants Aamir, Salman, Shah Rukh Khan to support her
- Indian Naval Ships Veer, Nipat to be decommissioned today
- Shashank Manohar to step down as BCCI boss for ICC chairman's post?