Gunman opens fire at US church, wounds 2 teens
Richmond: A man wearing a hooded sweatshirt walked into a San Francisco Bay area church and opened fire during a Sunday service, wounding two teenagers, police said.
Two other men — also wearing hooded sweatshirts — were with the gunman when the shooting took place at about 12:30 pm in front of about 100 people at New Gethsemane Church in Christ, Richmond police Sgt Bisa French said.
The men walked up and down the aisles with their hoods over their heads before the gunman fired at the teens sitting in the pews, witnesses said. Charles Miller, a 64-year-old deacon at the church, said members of the congregation were about to tell the men to take off their hoods when the shooting began.
"I was listening to the choir and all of a sudden there was a `pop pop pop pop pop,`" Miller told the San Francisco Chronicle. "Everyone hit the floor. I didn`t know the shooting was inside the church at first, until I heard all of the hollering and screaming."
A 14-year-old boy was hit in the shoulder and a 19-year-old man was struck in the leg, French said. Both victims, whose names haven`t been released, were hospitalised and were expected to survive. There were no other injuries.
The three men fled and no suspects have been arrested, French said.
"It`s terrible when you come to the house of the Lord and start doing this," Miller said. "It`s just something you don`t do."
Investigators believe the men were targeting someone in the church but don`t know if the two who were hit were the intended targets, French said.
"If it wasn`t the victims that were hit, it was somebody near them," she said.
French said investigators were interviewing witnesses to see if anyone recognised the men.
A handful of congregants returned to the church after police processed the crime scene and finished the service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price