Gunman opens fire at US church, wounds 2 teens
Richmond: A man wearing a hooded sweatshirt walked into a San Francisco Bay area church and opened fire during a Sunday service, wounding two teenagers, police said.
Two other men — also wearing hooded sweatshirts — were with the gunman when the shooting took place at about 12:30 pm in front of about 100 people at New Gethsemane Church in Christ, Richmond police Sgt Bisa French said.
The men walked up and down the aisles with their hoods over their heads before the gunman fired at the teens sitting in the pews, witnesses said. Charles Miller, a 64-year-old deacon at the church, said members of the congregation were about to tell the men to take off their hoods when the shooting began.
"I was listening to the choir and all of a sudden there was a `pop pop pop pop pop,`" Miller told the San Francisco Chronicle. "Everyone hit the floor. I didn`t know the shooting was inside the church at first, until I heard all of the hollering and screaming."
A 14-year-old boy was hit in the shoulder and a 19-year-old man was struck in the leg, French said. Both victims, whose names haven`t been released, were hospitalised and were expected to survive. There were no other injuries.
The three men fled and no suspects have been arrested, French said.
"It`s terrible when you come to the house of the Lord and start doing this," Miller said. "It`s just something you don`t do."
Investigators believe the men were targeting someone in the church but don`t know if the two who were hit were the intended targets, French said.
"If it wasn`t the victims that were hit, it was somebody near them," she said.
French said investigators were interviewing witnesses to see if anyone recognised the men.
A handful of congregants returned to the church after police processed the crime scene and finished the service.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?