Gunman opens fire at US church, wounds 2 teens
Richmond: A man wearing a hooded sweatshirt walked into a San Francisco Bay area church and opened fire during a Sunday service, wounding two teenagers, police said.
Two other men — also wearing hooded sweatshirts — were with the gunman when the shooting took place at about 12:30 pm in front of about 100 people at New Gethsemane Church in Christ, Richmond police Sgt Bisa French said.
The men walked up and down the aisles with their hoods over their heads before the gunman fired at the teens sitting in the pews, witnesses said. Charles Miller, a 64-year-old deacon at the church, said members of the congregation were about to tell the men to take off their hoods when the shooting began.
"I was listening to the choir and all of a sudden there was a `pop pop pop pop pop,`" Miller told the San Francisco Chronicle. "Everyone hit the floor. I didn`t know the shooting was inside the church at first, until I heard all of the hollering and screaming."
A 14-year-old boy was hit in the shoulder and a 19-year-old man was struck in the leg, French said. Both victims, whose names haven`t been released, were hospitalised and were expected to survive. There were no other injuries.
The three men fled and no suspects have been arrested, French said.
"It`s terrible when you come to the house of the Lord and start doing this," Miller said. "It`s just something you don`t do."
Investigators believe the men were targeting someone in the church but don`t know if the two who were hit were the intended targets, French said.
"If it wasn`t the victims that were hit, it was somebody near them," she said.
French said investigators were interviewing witnesses to see if anyone recognised the men.
A handful of congregants returned to the church after police processed the crime scene and finished the service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls