Gunman was motivated by hate: Romney
Washington: The lone gunman who killed six Sikh worshippers at a Gurudwara in Wisconsin was motivated by hate and this makes the incident even more tragic, Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential candidate said on Wednesday.
"The tragedy in Wisconsin, where the Sikh temple was invaded by a gunman who was motivated by hate, racial hate, religious hate that makes it even more tragic, and tragic too to have a people that are known for their peaceability and their loving nature to be so brutally attacked," Romney said at a campaign event in Des Moines, Iowa.
"We`re thinking of them. Our hearts go out to them and to their community across the nation," said the Republican presidential candidate.
Meanwhile, heart-broken at the incident, top American Senators extended their sympathies to those who were wounded and to the families and friends of those who were killed.
"The Sikh religion is known around the world for its foundational beliefs in peace and tolerance, so it is especially disturbing to me that this violence occurred at a Gurdwara," Senator Mark Warner, Co-Chair of the Senate India Caucus said.
"The violent attack in Wisconsin was heartbreaking, and I extend my sympathies to those who were wounded and to the families and friends of those who were killed," said Warner, the Democratic Senator from Virginia.
Deeply saddened to hear of the tragic shooting at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin, Senator John Cornyn, another Co-Chair to the Senate India Caucus, said: "The victims were, by all accounts, individuals whose contributions to their community and nation positively affected the lives of many people."
"As we reflect on this senseless act, we are at the same time reminded that our nation is built upon a foundation that guarantees the right of all individuals to the free exercise of religion according to their conscience."
"As we look to the days ahead, please know that my thoughts and prayers will remain with the families of the six victims killed, with those wounded, and with the entire Sikh American community, during this difficult time," Cornyn said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28