Gunmen abduct French engineer, kill 2 others in Nigeria
Abuja: A French national was on Thursday abducted and two others were killed by a group of 30 gunmen who stormed a house in Nigeria`s northern Katsina state, police said.
Commissioner of Police Abdullahi Magaji said the French national, who works as an engineer for French alternative energy company Vergnet, was abducted from his residence.
Vergnet is setting up a wind power project in Katsina.
The gunmen opened fire killing a security guard and a neighbour of the house, Magaji said, adding they threw an explosive device into the police station on their way out.
Kidnappings have become a regular occurrence in Nigeria with terror group - Boko Haram - active in the oil-rich region.
In the oil-rich region of Niger delta, oil thieves are notorious for kidnapping crew of oil vessels.
On Tuesday, five Indians were abducted on board a ship off Nigeria`s territorial waters in the delta region.
In November 2010, three French oil workers were held captive in the restive oil-rich delta region but regained their freedom three months later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video