Gunmen abduct French engineer, kill 2 others in Nigeria
Abuja: A French national was on Thursday abducted and two others were killed by a group of 30 gunmen who stormed a house in Nigeria`s northern Katsina state, police said.
Commissioner of Police Abdullahi Magaji said the French national, who works as an engineer for French alternative energy company Vergnet, was abducted from his residence.
Vergnet is setting up a wind power project in Katsina.
The gunmen opened fire killing a security guard and a neighbour of the house, Magaji said, adding they threw an explosive device into the police station on their way out.
Kidnappings have become a regular occurrence in Nigeria with terror group - Boko Haram - active in the oil-rich region.
In the oil-rich region of Niger delta, oil thieves are notorious for kidnapping crew of oil vessels.
On Tuesday, five Indians were abducted on board a ship off Nigeria`s territorial waters in the delta region.
In November 2010, three French oil workers were held captive in the restive oil-rich delta region but regained their freedom three months later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere