Gunmen attack telecom installations, police station in Nigeria
Abuja: Suspected members of Islamic radical sect Boko Haram used explosives to set on fire two telecom towers, a police station and a school in Nigeria`s northern city of Fika today, killing two policemen.
A military spokesman, Lazarus Eli said the attackers killed two policemen and that military men from the Joint Task Force (JTF) are already in the town to beef up security.
Fika is located 170 kilometres away from Damaturu , the capital of Yobe state and has remained relatively peaceful till the present attack.
Residents said they were awakened by incessant gunfires followed by loud explosions in the morning.
Airel Nigeria, a subsidiary of Bharti Airtel has not picked up calls or given response to text message enquiries on whether its installations were affected by the attacks just as authorities have not disclosed the telecoms companies affected.
Airtel announced recently that terror attacks on 53 installations sites disrupted operations in 193 sites across the Northern part of Nigeria Boko Haram claimed responsibility for the attacks on Airtel and other telecom installations.
Boko Haram wants to install an Islamic caliphate in northern Nigeria though the region has a large number of Christians who are in the minority.
In the southern part of the country where the Christians are in majority, the sect has not been able to establish its presence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened