Gunmen clash in southern Mexico; 8 die
Acapulco (Mexico): Police in Mexico say two groups of gunmen have clashed in a city near the resort of Acapulco, leaving eight men dead.
Spokesman for Guerrero state prosecutors Jorge Valdes says a shootout erupted yesterday in the outskirts of Coyuca de Benitez between two groups of men allegedly working for rival drug cartels.
Although authorities would not say which gangs are behind the shootout, the Pacific coastal area has suffered a wave of violence as self-defence groups have sprouted up to battle the Knights Templar cartel.
Communities have accused the Knights Templar of carrying out killings and kidnappings, which they say justifies vigilante justice. But authorities say some of the self-defence groups are supported by the rival Jalisco New Generation, also fighting the Knights Templar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India