Gunmen clash in southern Mexico; 8 die
Acapulco (Mexico): Police in Mexico say two groups of gunmen have clashed in a city near the resort of Acapulco, leaving eight men dead.
Spokesman for Guerrero state prosecutors Jorge Valdes says a shootout erupted yesterday in the outskirts of Coyuca de Benitez between two groups of men allegedly working for rival drug cartels.
Although authorities would not say which gangs are behind the shootout, the Pacific coastal area has suffered a wave of violence as self-defence groups have sprouted up to battle the Knights Templar cartel.
Communities have accused the Knights Templar of carrying out killings and kidnappings, which they say justifies vigilante justice. But authorities say some of the self-defence groups are supported by the rival Jalisco New Generation, also fighting the Knights Templar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad