Gunmen in Nigeria kidnap 2 Germans
Port Harcourt: Gunmen in Nigeria kidnapped two German men in the OPEC member`s southeastern Abia state, security sources said on Sunday, the second abduction of foreign workers in the last 10 days.
The two men, aged between 45 and 55, were abducted while at a local beach in the oil-producing Abia state.
"The Germans were kidnapped at Azumini Beach strip at Imo River as they were heading to their vehicle," a security source said. "This was likely an opportunist abduction as there was no security around, just a local driver."
Police could not immediately be reached for comment. The German Foreign Ministry said it was aware of the reports of the kidnapping and was looking into the incident.
Kidnappings for ransom are common in the Niger Delta, home to Africa`s biggest oil and gas industries, with hundreds of incidents reported each year. Most victims are released unharmed after a couple of days.
Foreign firms, ranging from oil to construction to telecoms, are forced to spend millions of dollars a year on security for their staff because of the high crime in the Niger Delta.
Four Syrian and Lebanese construction workers were kidnapped on April 09 and released five days later in Abia state. It was not clear whether a ransom was paid for their release.
For years, gangs targeted primarily expatriate workers but recently wealthy Nigerians have been more common victims.
In neighbouring Rivers state, police said a Nigerian couple was abducted on Sunday in Eleme, near the country`s oil hub Port Harcourt.
The kidnappers freed the wife and demanded she pay them 50 million naira (USD 333,333) for her husband`s release. Police spokeswoman Rita Inoma Abbey said security forces were investigating.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm