Gunmen kidnap two UN employees in Yemen
Sanaa: Gunmen believed to be Al Qaeda affiliates kidnapped two westerners working for the UN office in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa Tuesday, police said.
The two UN staffers were kidnapped near the presidential palace in Sabeen area southeast of Sanaa, Xinhua quoted police officials as saying. They added that they had no idea about their nationality.
The media said that one of the abducted westerners is a diplomat.
Police said the armed kidnappers were driving a car, adding that they had escaped to an unknown location.
Initial investigation showed that the kidnappers are Al Qaeda affiliates.
In the past two months, at least six foreigners were kidnapped in the Arab country. In February, tribesmen and Al Qaeda members abducted two British nationals and a German in Sanaa.
Foreigners are frequently kidnapped in Yemen, where security situation worsened after a political upheaval that broke out in 2011 severely weakened the government control.
Most of the kidnapped foreigners have been freed unharmed. Last month, a South African woman was freed from the southern province of Abyan, but a ransom of millions of dollars was demanded for the release of her husband, according to the media.
The Yemeni government has made efforts to stabilise the unrest-hit country by holding a national reconciliation dialogue which ended in January after a 10-month debate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks